Wednesday, August 1, 2012

the challenge of dairy free

We are well on our way to having our household now eating almost dairy free. It has been a little challenging at times.  It is when you get a request like Ice Cream that things become very interesting.  I did not feel inspired to make soy ice cream.  I haven't liked the taste prior to this so I have just ignored making it myself.  Our lovely and talented friend and study buddy from school sent me a wonderful recipe. Something i hadn't considered, coconut milk ice cream.  This immediately sounded very appealing. So last night we set to work making our own recipe and seeing what we could come up.  We used coconut cream, some ripe banana's, some sugar, some vanilla beans and some vanilla paste.  (never have too much vanilla!) and some vanilla essence.

The result was an instant hit with the children and the other half.  i think for myself I just like the flavour of vanilla only (so boring). I did enjoy it... just not my favourite.

I have realised that the children have made the transition to diary free very easily.  For me it is a bit more of a challenge. (I love fresh butter, cheese and yoghurt!)  I am really missing butter especially with  baking.



No comments:

Post a Comment