Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Making something for My Petals birthday.

It has become a tradition that I make something for my girl just before her birthday normally for the day although in this case it was for the day before as we have another birthday at the same time as my girls. A good friend smiling in the photo that we visited for lunch, Yum Cha down the coast.   Lovely meal,  I want to do chicken and ginger parcels now for our lunch on the weekend.  Everything was so good!



I decided that a headband or scarf just wasn't going to cut it and I had some lovely O'lily material that needed to be turned into something cute.  So a skirt it had to be.  I do still have some leftover that will probably be a headband, some buttons and anything else that I can think of.

Thank goodness I follow MADE otherwise I think this would have never been done.  Her blog and tutorials are wonderful and it would seem very easy to follow. So that was decided.  I raced to spotlight, bought some elastic, (also some 1/2 price hallowe'en material with the promise that I would turn it into something for the children)  then dashed home to start.

Straight to my mother-in-laws with the "help" cry.  I was still very unsure (being silly given how easy the tutorial is!) and needed her to overlock the top and bottom.  That done I was ready to go and later on that evening after we came home I set off on the next step leaving the remaining ones for the next day when I was fresh and the light was better.

I did it, I finished it and my Petal was so happy spinning around and around wearing it. I think I was happier than she was but that is alright, it's my first real project completed and being enjoyed. I have the usual amount of UFO's waiting to be completed and I also have the next skirt in the pipeline for Christmas.



The hot pink and butterfly material is for the next skirt.  The jug in the background was a wonderful op shop find. My mother left me a lovely dinner set that I am keeping for the children, I have a few items that I wanted to add to it, to date I have found nothing and then this wonderful jug.  We had a lovely time brainstorming all the great food things you could use it for.  Sticky date pudding with caramel sauce seemed to be the favourite.     I also have a plan to do Tapas soon.  So we are collecting little dishes to have our meal in.  I think this will be next week but I am not sure what ingredients I need.  A visit to the farmers market on the weekend should help.  These dishes all of them were from Op shop and Savers.

We also had the issue of making cupcakes or a cake Dairy Free.  I brainstormed with the family and we decided that Vanilla would be the easiest option and yummy.  After a bit of searching and not really finding anything suitable I then went to my ALL TIME FAVOURITE blog.  M.E to find something wonderful and yes we did.  The cake idea was changed for Cupcakes instead and what better ones that to have pink cupcakes.  So all i did was substitute the milk with soy milky, the butter with dairy free substitute and they were so yummy.  I am going to have to find a tiered cake plate or something suitable  for display of cupcakes when on the table, I did a big plate that was suitable but not quite right. (On my wishlist.)


My girl had her normal Non-Party day. This is where we do cake, we have visitors and presents but we don't call it a party.  We have people that normally visit and are happy for others to drop in, there is normally enough cake or cupcakes this time.

I think the smile says it all.

Happy Birthday my Beautiful Girls - ~Lily~ and My Petal xx











1 comment:

  1. SO wonderful! You did such a great job for the darling little sweeties birthday. P.S. I recognise that lovely lady visitor you have :)

    ReplyDelete