Tuesday, November 6, 2012

so can you buy everything from secondhand shops?

I have been avoiding the shops lately well not all the shops but mainly the big shopping centres. I get so shocked at all the prices of things that I desire or like that I have been thinking can I get what I want from Op shops or Secondhand shops.  Do I have to add to the problems of landfill and consumerism or can I avoid this?

Is it possible to avoid buying new or is it necessary at certain times.

So I am testing my theory.  I have been looking for things specifically when I go to op shops or second hand shops.  So far so good.

Skirts for work, found.  Tops to go with skirts. some I already had, some I found.


I put in a request for blue as it's my favourite colour to wear and lo and behold they appeared.  I have never really got into looking at clothes at the Op shops until just recently when I realised that I could actually work through and find things that I required at a very reasonable cost and have money left over. Normally impossible if I went to Department store and usual shops. I have been very happy with my recent purchases probably more so that usual, as I am not confronted by super slim women trying to show me things that would not do well for my body shape or size.  At this stage in my life I tend to know what is going to work and more importantly what isn't, no false comments "ohhhh that looks so good on you, suits you so much" you know how it goes.


Fluffy jacket and/or vest for my Petal (managed to get both), so cute.

I think my favourite one to date is the one that I managed to with the help of my other half and my son get a better than hoped for car game. I had some mini micro's (funny) cars and I was saving them for the right moment.  I gave them to my Red Headed Hurricane last week and he was thrilled carrying them everywhere. When My Other half took him shopping whilst my Petal and myself had a girls day out to Bendigo (that is another story).  They went looking for certain items. One was a present for my boy for Hallowe'en a meat clever and the other was training wheels for My Petal's bike.  I found her a basket with flowers  and a cute flower seat so it has come up quite good.  My Petal hates it though, she cannot get her balance and after talking to her Occupational therapist and myself and my study buddy watching her we came to realisation that training wheels or at least one would be the best thing for her.

There are some things that she needs extra help with and this is one of them, it's as simple as that.

  There are so many things that you can get from Op Shops and Secondhand shops and i am just learning what you can get.  I found some accessories for my jacket so happy about the beautiful pins, knitting needles which are lovely and green, books, 70's glasses and bowls that match my set, (missing pieces are great to find) some hallowe'en things for my boy.  Now I need to go and look at a few more
things, wondering what I can find next!




2 comments:

  1. I got into op shopping the year I decided to try the Anti-Consumerism challenge, also known as Buy Nothing For a Year challenge.
    I realised pretty quickly that there was very little you couldn't buy second hand. You do need to be prepared to wait for some things though.
    I often get caught out buying something new and then finding it 2nd hand not long after.
    Happy anniversary! Ours is in Oct too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary to you too. I think this is the way to go I don't mind waiting for things.... good to know.

      Delete