Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Red Headed Hurricane's Birthday

Yesterday, well the day before, was my Hurricanes birthday. We were a little anxious about how it would go. Firstly we were very light on presents, no clothes this time, however the quality of things was good. My Petal and myself made the bracelet. My Hurricane thought it was "great!"  My Petal also made him a card from all of us.




We bought him a Shaun Tan book, The Arrival. I love it, Shaun Tan really transports you to a different world or place.  I am very happy and looking forward to sitting down with him for a quiet moment and bonding with a beautiful book.

A toy, a lego lamp, no lego from us even this time. The budget only stretches so far. However we have some lovely friends who are getting him lego.  His wish list wasn't very long, he is easily pleased so that is great.  

We had a lovely roast dinner with a friend (almost family) and family as well. Nanny and Pop always like to attend the birthday dinner, so it was lovely to have them here.  We had roast, then cake.  I think the cake turned out alright too.  We had more visitors arrive in time for cake.  My Hurricane thinks of these ocassions as a party, we don't do parties for the children. Before he cut the cake he lined up all the pretty girls that were visiting so that when he touched the bottom he could kiss them all. He didn't want anyone to miss out!







We offer them an alternative of going to coast for an overnight visit.  This seems to be a satisfactory alternative to parties.  Although with lots of lovely people visiting I think it feels like a party all the same. I am sure judging from the smiles that we get, he is very happy with the experience and certainly doesn't feel like he is missing out.

It was a good night, although my poor boy just wanted so desperately to sit and build his lego that he received for a present, either that night or just forget about school and stay home the next day. I had to explain to him that he had to go to school.  Tears followed and criticism of my parenting skills as well.

He then explained to me that I don't always do what I say.  Hmmm. After all that effort it is nice to be reminded by a 6 year old on his birthday that you are failing as a parent. It was a busy and trying day at times.  (that story is for another blog).

My Red Headed Hurricane is growing up so fast!










No comments:

Post a Comment