Monday, April 30, 2012

Vanilla cupcakes (translates to Mummy Doesn't do Icing!)

Today our walk changed a bit, we did the juice and then dashed off. I was ranting and raving all the way around. I had read my Petals reports last night and was horrified that in her maths she had received 0/100.   Why hadn't school contacted us, why did I have to chase this up, how could it be this bad?  I hardly noticed all the beautiful sights that I normally see.


So I had to really just breath and work out solutions. To stop worrying about all the worries that I had and try to get back on a path to fixing things.  I have a couple of things that I need to fix and I am working on the problems ONE AT A TIME as they arise!  Firstly that I need to find more time to work with My Petal's special needs, that it's a priority that has been slipping.




After a quick trip to the school we were informed that it was a typo and that her marks were quite good for my girl and we could be happy to work with this.  Breathing again!  Nice to know that I am not the only parent that has issues.  We spoke with another mum and she was making me feel quite normal again.

I have been busy today and not doing the study that I desperately need. Instead I am baking for the Red Headed Hurricane's birthday tomorrow.

So firstly the cupcakes, for him to take to his class and teacher.


The easiest and great tasting recipe that was given to me by my Petals lovely Prep Teacher.   The amazing teacher Jenn used them when she was teaching her class and had all her helpers and they never failed. So easy and great, I made one addition. This was the first time I used the recipe and i was pretty happy about the outcome.  My Petal announced whilst eating them what flavour are they, mummy doesn't do icing!

Recipe: Jenn's Cupcakes
(please note this amount makes 36)

21 ounces of caster sugar = approx (600 grams)
18 ounes of self raising flour = approx (500 grams)
6 eggs
1 and 1/2 cups of milk (as we are off milk we used an alternative of soy milk this time)
7 1/2 ounces of butter = approx (220 grams)
(- I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or essence)

Melt butter and combine all ingredients. Stir, (beat with an electric mixer for 5 minutes).  Fill patty/muffin pans in a muffin tin, just over 1/2 (as they rise a lot).  Cook for 15 minutes at 180 degrees in a fan forced oven or 17 minus at 220 if conventional oven.
Freeze perfectly!



So next we needed to do dinner. I have some lovely spinach just calling to go into a simple Korma curry with veggies. YUM.  I love being able to pick our lovely supplies from the garden.

We have some more things to plant. Some broccoli, beetroot and more spinach.

So now we have been trying different milks. Our latest ones are;  almond, rice, (soy milky), and oats.

The votes is in, Soy Milky (vanilla) is the clear favourite and the equal 2nd is oats.  We have been enjoying trying all the different ones.  I like the almond, we have bought the one that is unsweetened as I have a problem with too much sugar being consumed especially at breakfast.


Nice that there is so many varieties to choose from.

So off to make the Burnt Sugar cake for tomorrow's night visitors for his birthday.









3 comments: