Monday, July 23, 2012

do you pay it forward?

It has been a trying couple of weeks, my father in law in hospital and so assignments all due about the same time plus it is winter, dark early and cold.

On a plus side we have had a bit of luck with finding some things. I look out for curbside collections (which are fast becoming a thing of the past) and op shops and discounts or a bargain. Recently just around the corner, a neighbour had out for pick up, a couple of packets of insulations, well who can pass this up especially when we need it and it is quite expensive when you have to buy as much as we do. It was lovely wool batts and they had too many.  So thank you!  Next was a girls bike just around the corner, which had a sign "please take".  I have been looking for a girls bike for My Petal for a little while and this one is just perfect, a couple of minor repairs and and a basket (a definite requirement) and it will be good as new.

My Hurricane seems to have a nack at finding things in op shops, exactly what he wants.  He has twice now found brand new box and a big carrier of Meccano for excellent prices.  I am suitably impressed at his skill in the op shop and let him go and search out whatever he requires. He is more than happy to do just that.  My Petal is learning and seems to find some great things too.  Always when we bring our finds home, we have to donate something too.  Sometimes this happens easily other times not so. I figure we need to pay it forward.

I have to do that on Zilch now. I happened upon a beautiful blue top and requested it and I was lucky enough to be the one to get it. YEAH so now I will have to pay it forward. I haven't listed anything there yet that will be my next task. Now I have to find the right thing.... thinking about it.

This weekend I decided that we needed to make the candles that we had wanted to make quite some time ago a long long long time ago. So we had everything that we needed.

Some old crayons
Essential Oils
Pin
Foil
Glass Jars (small)
Bees Wax
Wicks
Pegs
Suitable Saucepan (thank you Tania)

Heat the wax, you can use a double boiler if you like, I didn't.  (don't use the microwave)
The children picked which oils they decided on a mixture of orange and lime and we agreed on green this time for the crayon.  You can great the bees wax we didn't too hard.  I had the gas very low and let it slowly melt.  This was exciting for the kiddies to watch.  It is one of those tasks that is not really child friendly. They couldn't pour the wax once melted.  They did watch the changes in the wax whilst it was melting and when it was setting again, they did like the crayon changing the colour and they loved the smell of the essential oils being heated. My Hurricane solved the problem that I encounted with the peg, he is very clever with things like that.  

You can see the peg needed something to balance on and my boy worked it out in about 5 seconds flat problem solved.








Enjoy your week.





1 comment: