Sunday, July 1, 2012

moving on

So we are busy, things are moving forward again. We are trying to focus on other things not just the problems with work and not getting paid.

We are helping a friend install a long overdue kitchen, it is a second hand one but still it will be a step up from what is being currently used.  We are calling in favours and have another person helping. My other half's best friend is helping with muscles, a trailer and a trolley. All very necessary things. I am writing up a list of all the necessary things that need to be done or organised by Friday the latest.  We need to get the old kitchen emptied and packed up and removed before we can start working on putting in the replacement. I have been searching on line for a suitable splash back but no luck yet.

I will look for handles and some other bits and pieces that are required. I know that my dear friend is very excited with the prospect of having a working oven again and a kitchen that is easy to use. We have a lovely Scanpan roasting pan to give to her and a couple of baking trays and her belated birthday present.  I am looking forward to seeing all the creations and maybe even tasting a couple too.  (How subtle is that hint!)

This will keep us busy next weekend all things going to plan.

So this week when I popped over to see Pop and look after him on Friday, I had a plan. My study buddy had told me of music therapy and I had used that on my own dad when he was terminal with cancer. So I asked my other half to pick out some suitable music and I was going to pop that on when I was there.

He was asleep when I arrived at 10:30am and I thought before he gets the wanders when he wakes up that I would attempt this and see what happened, worse he ignored it or didn't like it and said to turn it off.  The best well I had no idea.

So after he woke up and I was listening to very broken attempts at conversation, I thought I would ask him if he would like some music. I received a very simple answer, "yes please" Great this was off to a good start. I went to the cd player and after a few attempts managed to make music happen.  The house was filled with bright and upbeat jazz.  I walked back to where he was sitting and sat down nearby.  He was instantly animated.  Singing, taping his foot and smiling. Telling me in long sentences without any hesitation or struggling to find words about the music, about the places that he had listened to it and mostly just enjoying it and singing every word without hesitation. This response was better than I could of dreamed of.  Even when he confused words, he laughed and corrected himself.  Just so good to hear all about this.

We continued the music during lunchtime when Nanny arrived home.  She was happy with how animated he had become and very agreeable and easy lunch.    The afternoon continued to be easy and agreeable.  I left for school pick up and heard later that the music had continued in the car, when he was taken for a drive and he was happy.  It was an easy evening too when we returned he was agreeable and happy. I would have to say that this was just such a brilliant reaction to the music therapy and I will continue. I have to find all his favourites now.





1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb, thanks for popping over to my blog. Thanks for your lovely comment re my whinging on my ailments! The chiro relieved the pain in my sinuses and vanquished what I thought was carpel tunnel. Reading your post, I see that you have a lot on your plate. Does your pop have dementia? If so, check out www.coconutoil.com about the use of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil in helping dementia, alzheimers and memory loss (there are testimonies of reversal). Your experience with the music therapy is so wonderful! Oh what you have done for your Pop and Nan! Blessings, Fi

    ReplyDelete