Saturday, March 10, 2012

Enjoying a long weekend.

What I am realising is the less that people have the more generous that they are.  I watch people with very little (in this day it's not hard to find them) and they share it out. People who are just keeping their head above water and managing bills quite happily share their produce, goods or whatever they have.   I feel very humbled at what I am experiencing, all the help and support that we have received since being retrenched.  Things that we are given go a very long way and are greatly appreciated.  We spend so much time reflecting and realising what is really important.  Much more time making things and being so much more creative. That our kitchen is very busy most times.  The sewing machine is also finally getting used and the garden is a wonderful resource.

We have new people moving into the street, Not nice people unfortunately extremely rude and like the Nasty people across the road self absorbed.  They are happy to block the street and make it impossible for anyone to get through, not to let people know but argue with them and say that their stuff is much more important than anyone else.  That access to the street and their homes is not important to them. Threatening to call the police and they say who cares I am moving in, the truck is staying in the middle of the road and you have to do another way or wait half an hour until we move!  Given that it's a dead end dirt road with single access that is just not possible.   I wish that common courtesy would occur, at the start we would wave to them as we drove past, slow down and not create too much dust. Not expecting a response, but a simple wave back would have been nice or some acknowledgement, however that didn't happen. We are neighbours in the same street it is common courtesy to acknowledge newcomers and most for that matter.   I wish that these people would move to another street or another state or further for that matter. I am so sad that the neighbour is changing and evolving.  At least we still have some lovely neighbours that are helpful, considerate and wonderful.   As for the new ones, if you move tomorrow it won't be too soon.

Gourmet Girl has a fantastic recipe on her website so I thought I would borrow it and make the same for dinner tonight.  We had planned to make pizza but changed our minds. So this with a bit of chili, I know its not necessary but its my variation and of course a great salad will be great too.

http://gourmetgirl-friend.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/lucky-lucky-me.html



As we are visiting Nanny and Pop tomorrow for dinner tomorrow the pizza will just have to wait until Monday.

Our impulse purchase today was a lovely wooden spoon that we needed from our favourite vintage stall at St Andrews Market. I promise I will take photo's as it's just so lovely to look at.  I wish I would remember whilst I was there, in saying that I know that the goods change quite regularly as they are snapped up very quickly.

My Hurricane is realising that we are trying hard to come up with things to sell, create a business and thinks of ideas in general. So he has started being creative too and was coming up with Food ideas last night.  He loves, hot chips, he loves wedges and he loves the crinkle cut things. My mum (when she was alive) would make the yumiest and was well known for this, fish and chips and peas night on Fridays for us. She would cut the potatoes, after my dad peeled them or he helped her cut (it was a real team effort.)  Always put in a vintage tupperware bowl in water in the fridge whilst preparing the fish and getting the oil hot. They were mostly crinkle cut done with a lovely vintage cutter.  The fish was always King George Whiting and she would order that in especially, a standing order with her local fish shop and if we could not get that, it was deep fried egg. I miss those nights, of standing talking to my dad whilst drying the dishes and putting them away afterwards sharing our ideas. I miss my mum talking about the price of fish but goodness the whole meal was grand.  Anyhow my boy loves crinkle cut and decided that Hurricane Crinkle Cut Wedges would be a great invention and a thermos to carry them in so he could have them hot at school would also be a wonderful invention we agreed with him too.





No comments:

Post a Comment