Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dehydrating

I have been spending a bit of time talking to people about dehydrating, they have been trying our fruit and enjoying,asking questions and looking for a machine.  After a trip to the farmers market on Saturday morning we came home with a few extra punnets of fruit. One was strawberries, we love them and another was figs. We thought we would give them a try as well. Dried figs sounded too good to pass up and 4 punnets for $8.00 was just too good to resist.

The dehydrator has been humming away today in the background working on the figs.  I am going to add the strawberries to it later on tonight after I have made the banana muffins.  I have visitors tomorrow and I wanted to have something to eat for a snack after we worked hard on revision for our exam next week.


My of my guests is a veggie so a quick decision and look at our ingredients and we decided on a pasta  and salad. I have some lovely cheese without the animal rennet from the farmers market.  The last time he visited we were unable to offer any cheese sadly this time we have 2 varieties.  One for the salad feta and one for the pasta sauce romano.

More culling has been happening around the house although it is not obvious to most it is to us.  I am aware that I am feeling a little (or a lot) overwhelmed by the lack of space, including in our room that had managed to keep most of my Hurricanes toys behind the bed.  So today that was the line that was drawn and the toys found homes elsewhere. NO MORE TOYS in our room.  I am always amazed at how they seem to breed and multiply at night time.

More thought or more discussion happened about my massage room and where it might go in the house. I am so sad that I have lost the room but in other ways I am actually happier that a better room might be found or created.

Today we had a meeting with the dietician for my Petal.  Discussing her weight, her intake and her food that she eats.  She was weighed and measured and is in a great extremely healthy height to weight range. This is wonderful news.  We also talked about milk and alternatives. I have to watch her calcium intake however there are SO many other foods that can provide calcium that we don't really have to worry as she is happy to consume almost of the others in suitable quantities.  I was not happy when she told me I had to give her cows milk when I saw from the list that the alternatives were straight after and the quantities were about the same.  So in saying this we are continuing with Soy and Rice milk.


We used some rice milk today to make a proper coffee. The milk frothed up quite nicely and was sweeter than cows milk.  It tasted a bit like rice pudding, did it taint the coffee? No!  Did it taste the same, no.  Our other favourite is the vanilla soy milky which is just like vanilla custard in taste and so lovely. I actually enjoyed the muesli so much more the other morning when it was added to it.  My others half's favourite is the organic soy milk from Aldi's, a very cheap and good alternative too.  I am not so great on the taste but I would be willing to try it and have it in the cupboard for emergencies quite happily.

Curry is calling!

Have a lovely day.















 




No comments:

Post a Comment